Back to St. Peter's

This morning we went back to St. Peter's for a tour with American art historian, Elizabeth Lev.  I'm going to check out some of her books.  She was fantastic.  I used to give private tours of the Basilica for family and friends of seminarians back in the day.  I learned a lot.  She had a different perspective around which to organize her information.  Really informative.  Tomorrow she will lead us on a tour of the Vatican Museum and Sistine Chapel.  I am really looking forward to it.  I believe she may be also giving us a tour later in the sabbatical.

I find that I never tire of St. Peter's.  I have been in it many dozen of times.  I was ordained to the diaconate at the Altar of the Chair.  Yet every time I enter it I have the same feeling of awe.  With all of the tours it is not the most quiet and reverent of settings but one can often find a quiet corner just to sit and look, think and pray.  As we were nearing the end of our tour suddenly a flood of lights were turned on.  I think there was a Mass at the Altar of the Chair but I couldn't really see in that direction so am not sure.  As impressive as the Basilica is in any light, when the bright lights come on it is incredible.  I commented to someone that we were seeing it, as well as other sights that are dramatically it at night in a way that no contemporary would.  Quite a realization on how blessed we are.

My class at our diaconate with Cardinal Baum at the Altar of the Chair (1984 - 35 years ago)

After the tour some of us stayed in the area around the Vatican for lunch.  I had a couple errands to run.  I forgot to pack a Bible and need one for Egypt.  Picked that up.  I also stopped at the pharmacy for some immodium (in case of the Pharoah's curse while in Egypt) and some throat lozenges.  If you follow me on Facebook you will know that I have had some low grade health issues the last couple days.  Mostly coughing and stuffy/runny nose.  It seems to be a bit worse in the morning and I have had decent energy so I have been taking part as fully as possible in all of the events.  When I get back from Egypt I may just have to take a couple days of rest.  I hate to miss anything but it would be great to be feeling a little better.

Here are a group of us at Il Mazzicone on the Borgo Pio near St. Peter's

Tonight I plan to lay things out for packing and maybe do a little laundry in anticipation of the trip.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Underground

A beautiful Roman winter day

From the City of Lights (and rain!)