From Cairo to Luxor

After the first few days spent in Cairo we went to Luxor.  In many ways I liked Luxor the most.  Cairo is a big city with lots of traffic.  I found it a bit tiring.  Luxor is smaller and more compact which made it easier to get around.  Not that our days were any shorter but it was less time in the bus.

We had an early morning flight so had to leave the hotel very early.  Since we would not be returning to the same hotel we needed to get everything packed up.  Some folks stored one of their suitcases at the hotel to make traveling for the next couple days easier.  The flight was quick and smooth.  When we arrived at Luxor we collected our bags and made our way to the bus.  Since it was still mid-morning the hotel would not be available for several hours.

We spent the morning sailing in a felucca in the Nile.  They are the same type of boat the ancient Egyptians used.  It was a beautiful morning and I really enjoyed the experience.  Our boat crew were Nubians and they shared with us some of their music and dancing.  Yes, dancing (albeit no jumping up and down) on a boat.  A nice peaceful way to begin our visit to Luxor. 



As we traveled from one place to another in Luxor we passed the Temple of Luxor which we would visit the next day.

After our ride we had lunch and then went to an essential oils shop.  Pretty much every day we would go someplace where we could spend some money!  Papyrus, silver, alabaster, Egyptian cotton, etc.  I did purchase a couple of fragrances and some oils.  I even got a short back massage.  I had been trying to communicate the question as to whether it was the sandalwood essence that was good for joint pain.  I was kind of rubbing my knee.  I guess the guy thought I wanted a massage.  Pretty soon I found myself getting a back rub down with oils.  It actually felt pretty good.

From there we went to the hotel which is a resort and spa on the Nile.  Beautiful and relaxing.  We checked into our rooms and had some free time.  Pretty much the first down time since we had arrived.  It was nice.  Unfortunately, the internet was very spotty so I did not have a chance to post on the blog.  In fact, most of the time I had no internet access in my room at all.


My enormous room


Walking along the Nile at night.  Unfortunately, not a good picture.

After supper I turned in to get ready for the next day.  Since we were having a later start I was able to get about 8 1/2 hours of sleep.  Heaven.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Underground

A beautiful Roman winter day

From the City of Lights (and rain!)