Week 5

It is hard to believe that we are five weeks into this experience.  Time is flying by.  I am working to slow down a little for the next week or two.  I have been a bit under the weather with a cough.  That seems to be subsiding so I am looking forward to being back up to full strength.

This week we had classes on Paul's Letter to the Romans and Understanding Pope Francis.  On Thursday night we had the option to hear Amy-Jill Levine, a Jewish scholar, talk about the parables as heard by Jewish ears.  Fascinating and thought-provoking.  We walked to the talk and then I walked part way back and joined some of the group at a restaurant for dinner.  We went to Ai Pompiere (the firemen) which was a favorite special spot when I was a student.  Great to be back.




Walked by this beauty on the way home.  Love the monuments (Colosseum) lighted at night

Friday we went to see three churches that have paintings by Caravaggio.  I really love his stuff and enjoyed the opportunity to see them again.  We saw the Madonna of Loretto in the Church of St. Augustine (which also houses the tomb of St. Monica).  Then we went to St. Luigi dei Francesi (Louis of the French) where we saw three paintings about St. Matthew.  The Call, the Writing of the Gospel, and the Death. Our guide, Sara Magister, helped us understand how Caravaggio went about designing and executing his paintings.  The lighting, the design which is meant to be seen from the side rather than straight on (and what that means for how we understand the paintings), and the history of the paintings.  One of her contentions is that in the painting of the Call of Matthew it is not the old man in the center of the painting who represents Matthew but the young man counting money on the side.  Very interesting and persuasive.  It gives a whole different way of looking at the painting.  Our final stop was the Church of Santa Maria de Popoli near the Borghese Gardens.  Here we find the Martyrdom of Peter and the Conversion of St. Paul.  Again, she pointed out that the paintings were designed to be seen from the side and so that influenced Caravaggio's composition.  As an example, it appears in the Conversion of St. Paul that the horse is the central character when looked at straight on.  But viewed from the point that most would see it Paul is clearly the focus.  Great insights.

Tomb of St. Monica


Matthew writing his Gospel

After lunch a couple of us went to St. Peter's.  Today is the Feast of the Chair of Peter in the Catholic Church.  On this day special decorations are put out which happens only once a year.  The bronze statue of St. Peter is dressed in pontifical robes and a papal tiara and the Altar of the Chair is decorated with candles.  I was ordained a deacon at the Altar of the Chair so it is always a special spot and I make it a point to visit and spend time there praying for myself and my classmates whenever I am in Rome.




The Altar of the Chair decorated with candles

Here I am in 1984 with my classmates and Cardinal William Baum on the day of ordination.

This weekend I am taking it very easy.  I plan to rest and read for a bit tonight and then just lay low tomorrow.  On Sunday, I am meeting Msgr. Tom Cook, a priest of our diocese who is working over here, for a visit to the Borghese Gallery and lunch.  The Borghese was closed the entire time I was a student and I have always wanted to visit.  Almost everyone I talk to say it is one of their favorite museums.  I am looking forward to that.

I think that kind of catches me up on the blog.  The next couple weeks will be a bit more program focused so I probably won't post as often.  However, on Wednesday my liturgy group is on for planning and leading and I have the honor of saying Mass at St. Mary Major before our tour by Liz Lev who lead us at the Vatican.  Check back for pictures (I hope).




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Underground

A beautiful Roman winter day

From the City of Lights (and rain!)