An American (actually several Americans) in Vienna

Well, I made it back from my all too short visit to Vienna.  I had been there as a student but hadn't been back since.  We did not have an opportunity to see much but the whole weekend was enjoyable and I am glad I went.

Two other ICTE participants went as well.  A third was supposed to join but became ill and so not able to go.  We flew as we were able to get very inexpensive tickets.  I didn't know what to expect from these budget airlines but the planes were nice, the service was good and it got us there and bak for a good price.  I'd definitely fly either one again.  Who knows, I might.

We arrived in Vienna in the early evening and made our way to our hotel.  We took public transportation from the airport which worked well.  Always a bit of a hassle but the price was right and it is always an adventure.  We stayed at Motel One.  I can't say that I was particularly attracted by the name but it was a charming and well located hotel.  Room was small but that is expected in Europe and we didn't spend much time in the room.  One of the cool things is that when you go into your room you put your key in a slot which activates the lights.  It also turned on the TV to a crackling fire.  Since I didn't have an exterior window I kept the fireplace going.

Hotel Hallway





We found a local restaurant that we liked and had a good meal.  I tried the Grostl, a traditional Austrian dish.  Kind of like potato and meat hash with an egg on top.  Really tasty.  Going to have to look for a recipe.  It came with Austrian
cole slaw.  Not that different from ours.



We made it an early night and actually took a leisurely start to the day.  Breakfast was included in the price of the room.  Standard European breakfast buffet with pastries, eggs, meat, cheese, yogurt, and fruit.  Very good. 

We then made our way into the city.  Our first task was to get tickets for the two others for the concert that night.  The Musikverein is one of the top two concert halls in the world.  If you watch the New Year's Concert from Vienna it is broadcast from this hall.  Mission accomplished we went in search of the Hofburgkapelle where we would go to Mass on Sunday.  It was not easy to find.  I enjoy just wandering around and don't mind getting lost and discovering unexpected things.  Even I was frustrated and the map didn't seem to help much.  Anyway we finally found it so we knew where to go on Sunday.  We ordered tickets online as you have to purchase a ticket to attend.

We then went to St. Stephen's Cathedral.  A beautiful church.  I have always loved the roof.  So unique.  Mass was going on inside so we did not get to see everything but it was great to be there again.  It is amazing what they were able to do so long ago. 

St. Stephen's Church



I was also impressed by the way this modern building paid homage to the much older structure across the street.  It is actually not as obvious from this angle but they do an updated take on the forms of the older building.

We wandered around for a bit longer and then headed back to the hotel for some rest before the concert.  The Luther College Orchestra has been on a three week residency in Vienna and played their final concert at the Musikverein.  I am sure they will remember it always.  Parishioner Luke Berkley is studying horn at Luther and was part of the orchestra.  The building is beautiful inside and out and the sound is incredible.  The orchestra played the Prelude to Die Meistersinger by Wagner, the Mendelssohn Violin Concerto with a faculty soloist, Three Dances from the Three Cornered Hat and An American in Paris. The house was full and the audience was appreciative.  For an encore they did a tango by Astor Piazzola.  An enjoyable evening.


The Musikverein


Inside the entryway


Inside the hall


Even the corners are beautiful


Scot and Becky Berkley, Luke's parents


Luke and his girlfriend after the concert



Luke and I

After the concert we went to the Cafe Sacher for a snack.  I hadn't eaten supper so I opted for a bowl of gulash soup (excellent) and a piece of Sacher Tort which was created at the Hotel.



On Sunday we got up bright and early for breakfast and Mass.  The Mass started at 9:15 a.m.  The chapel is small so our seats in the back row were just fine.  And we could hear the music perfectly.  Mass was in German and Latin.  I understood part of the German homily which was about the townspeople not being able to receive Jesus' message because they thought they knew him.  The rector also gave a short homily in English on the second reading which was Paul's Love Canticle. 

It was interesting experiencing a Viennese Mass in the approximate setting for which it was intended.  Today we heard one of my favorites, the Mass in E flat Major by Schubert.  I sang it years ago and have always loved it - especially the gorgeous trio at the "Et incarnatus est"  I could have listed forever.  The placement of the pieces was a bit modified from their original placement due to the structure of the reformed Mass but worked pretty well.  The Propers of the Mass (the parts designated for this particular Sunday) were done in Gregorian Chant.  A beautiful experience.  After Mass the boys come down stairs and sing one piece from the sanctuary.  Today it was Hebe deine Augen by Felix Mendelssohn.




 We made our way to the airport and had a good flight home.  I come back feeling a little under the weather.  And one of my ears still hasn't popped.  I'm chewing gum but that doesn't seem to be doing the trick either.  In addition, I am stuffed up and have had a dry, raspy cough for a couple of days.  I will go see the religious sisters who run the infirmary.  I have to get into good health as I leave for Egypt on Thursday.  Super excited about that.  I love history.  I enjoy Egyptian history so this will be a great experience.  Heading off to bed shortly.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Underground

A beautiful Roman winter day

From the City of Lights (and rain!)