My Weekend

It is now Monday and I thought I would post a quick update on our doings. Classes start tomorrow so I don't know what my time will be like.

On Saturday we took the train into Brussels for a guided tour of the city. It was nice since the lousy weather kind of dampened my spirits for a lot of running around when I first arrived. We visited the Cathedral, the Grand Place, and the Royal part of the city. Brussels has a long history and many chapters in it. I would like to find a good book that goes through the history of this area. What little I have learned has been fascinating. We had beautiful, sunny weather. Temperatures were in the 50s so I thought it was great. All weekend and today have also been sunny and pleasant. Cool at night but nice during the day. Folks say this is unusual weather so I suppose we will be in for more rain and cold in the next few weeks.

On Sunday we had a tour by the son of a couple who works at the College. He has lived in Leuven all his life and gave a great tour of the area and the history of the town. Leuven was founded in the 15th century and soon had a university. This has grown and now there are over 35,000 students at the university. Our house is just a 5 minute walk from classrooms and library. During both World Wars Leuven suffered major damage. This was especially true in World War I and you can see how those things have been memorialized throughout the town.

Today we took a tour of the university area and found the classrooms where we will be taking class. It is a lot simpler and more rustic than American universities but reminds me a lot of how it was when I studied in Rome, especially my time at San Anselmo. I made my decisions about what classes to take and I start tomorrow.

I will be taking a class on Christian and Social Ethics, The Psalms and Wisdom Literature, Bioethics, Sacramental Theology and The Philosophy of God. We are free to change classes as we wish but from the options available these looked good to me. It will be a bit strange to be back in the classroom but I've always liked school so am looking forward to it. In addition, I need to get going on my other project of learning some Spanish for my new assignment. I will be using Rosetta Stone computer series. In addition, one of the faculty members speaks Spanish and has agreed to help me work on my pronunciation for saying Mass - my first goal.

Comments

Grace said…
It had been our pleasure to know and work with you, Fr. Sauer, since we came to Winona about 10 years ago. You are a special person with great talent and intelligence.

Have a fun sabbatical:)

Grace & John
Sharon Stiles said…
Wow. What great classes to be studying. When I was in college at the Univ of Dallas many moons ago it seems I took a whole semester on
The Philosophy Of God. I loved it. ! I hope you will too.
And enjoy practicing your Spanish too.
God bless this journey for you.

Sharon Stiles.

Popular posts from this blog

Underground

A beautiful Roman winter day

From the City of Lights (and rain!)