Old home day

This has been a day filled with lots of memories. We left the house early this morning to walk to St. Peter's Basilica.  The Roman streets are pretty quiet at that time of the morning and it has always been a favorite time to walk.  We arrived at St. Peter's and entered through the sacristy entrance which is not one of the official entrances.  It is near the one we used when we arrived at St. Peter's on May 6, 1984 for our diaconate ordination.  I was flooded with memories.  We proceeded to vest and then made our way to the altar at the tomb of St. Peter.  We had a lovely celebration of Mass using the votive Mass of St. Peter.  A votive Mass is one that can be used when there is not a higher feast scheduled and gives honor to a particular saint.  So there is are votive Masses for the Blessed Virgin, for St Joseph, for the angels, etc.  The readings were particularly powerful on that spot.  One from the Letter of St. Peter and the other his profession of faith at Caesarea Philippi.  The director of the program said Mass and gave the homily.  He spoke about the pagan roots of Caesarea Philippi and how Christ may have used the surroundings to give an added layer of meaning to his statement about building the Church upon "this" rock.  He also reminded us that we have been given a charge to share the mission of Jesus of building the Church.  I offered Mass today for Bishop Quinn, the priests and people of the Diocese of Winona-Rochester and my parishes.  We did get our picture taken but I decided to leave my phone at the house forgetting that it would also be serving as my camera.  I'll try to get a copy from one of the other participants and post it soon.

After Mass we had some time to explore the crypt and the basilica.  It was moving to see the tomb of St. Paul VI since his recent canonization.  I also stopped and prayed at the tombs of Pope John Paul I and St. John XXIII.  All popes since my birth. I was not able to visit the tomb of St. John Paul II due to a Mass being celebrated there.

I gave unofficial tours of St Peter's during my seminary years to friends of seminarians who would be in town.  So while others explored I headed over to the chapel of the Altar of the Chair where I was ordained to the Diaconate and prayed Morning Prayer for the intention of my classmates.  A moving morning.  The picture was taken after our ordination with Cardinal William Baum who ordained us.  Can you pick me out?


We then went and had pictures taken - a group picture in front of the obelisk in St. Peter's square and individual pictures at a nearby studio for posting at the college.  We then headed back to the house.  In my day we had to climb the Gianiculum to get back to the college.  Now there is a parking garage that includes elevators and takes you up almost to college level.  Far easier!  Even as students we called the hill Heartattack Hill and I'm not sure I am in enough shape yet to have made that climb.

We ate lunch at the College as we will do most days.  We were then given a tour of the building.  Interesting to see what has changed and what remains the same.  Mostly the same but some changes, especially in use of rooms.  Also, the auditorium was refurbished some years ago. It is way more comfortable now.  I performed in many plays and shows in that auditorium so it brought back lots of memories.  Although I will say that the stage seems smaller than I remember.

The day started with overcast skies which gave way to a couple hours of sun.  Now it is overcast and rainy.  Makes it not too enticing for going into the city.
I think it should clear up in the next day or two and offer a nicer weekend.  I was thinking of going to the Angelus blessing on Sunday until I remembered the Pope is in Panama for World Youth Day.  Maybe in a couple weeks.

Tomorrow we return to St. Peter's for a tour of the Scavi - the excavations under the basilica.  They uncovered what is believed to be the tomb of St. Peter directly under the main altar which had been the tradition.  More on that tomorrow.  It has been 30+ years since I took a tour of the scavi so I am pretty excited for that.

Light evening tonight with prayer and dinner.  Maybe do a little reading although I think the residual jet lag may catch up with me.  My body clock is not quite reset.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Underground

A beautiful Roman winter day

From the City of Lights (and rain!)