Beginnings

This is my first post since I arrived in Rome.  It is wonderful to be back in the Eternal City and at the North American College which I called home for my four years of seminary formation.  I spent an additional year at our graduate house, Casa Santa Maria, which is located in downtown Rome near the Trevi Fountain.  Those years were a blessing in my life for which I am deeply grateful. 

I am residing in what used to be the convent on campus.  It is now called the Casa O'Toole in honor of the family that provided much of the seed money for the renovation.  They mentioned this morning that it is the oldest building on the site and once served as a kind of country house for a grape producing family. Something I had forgotten.  A number of years ago it was refurbished to serve as the sabbatical house and is where we celebrate Mass together in our chapel, eat breakfast and dinner together in a refectory overlooking St. Peter's Basilica, take class and have our sleeping rooms.  My room is nice size and has a view of Rome.  If I step out onto the balcony and look right I can see St. Peter's.  I forgot how close it looks.  The pictures don't really show that clearly.

My trip over was uneventful for the most part.  I celebrated Mass on Saturday evening and then had a nice evening with my family.  My sister and her husband stayed overnight as they were my chauffeurs in the morning.  I made sure that Fr. Pete, who will cover for me while I am gone, was set for Mass and then I went out for Mass at Holy Trinity in Litomysl.  The folks gave me a lovely blessing for my time away.

I got back home and we headed up to the airport.  Easy travels and we arrived in plenty of time.  I was a bit worried because of the government shut down and had heard of long delays.  I did not experience that at all.  I checked by bag and checked in.  I proceeded to security and was out in less than 15 minutes.  All TSA agents were friendly and helpful.  I was grateful for their professionalism.  I thanked them.  Even offered them cookies which they declined! 

I made my way to the gate and had some lunch.  My name was called to the gate for check-in since I was traveling internationally.  Suddenly the computer didn't like my passport.  One can travel to Europe for three months without a visa.  Since I don't return until May 6 it flagged me.  However my trip to Egypt takes me out of the zone which resets my time so once the gate agent got that figured out I was good to go. 

I decided to treat myself and fly Comfort+ and Premium Economy.  Not my usual mode but for a long overseas trip it helps me sleep and arrive somewhat refreshed.  Transfer at JFK was good until I got to security.  I understood that my Premium Economy ticket allowed me to pass through security as if pre-checked.  I guess not.  I had rearranged some things in my bags and so they were not easy access.  I also forgot to take out my tablet.  Of course my luggage got flagged and they had to go through it and rescan.  Again, the agents were good and very patient.  No real problem.

I can't say I was impressed with JFK's international terminal.  The space was fine but it seemed tired and there were very limited options to eat - mostly pick up places.  Since I had some time I walked around and found a place to sit down and have supper.  My Alitalia plane was slightly delayed in arriving at the gate but the boarding process proceeded smoothly and I made my way to my seat. It was comfortable and no one was seated next to me.  In fact, there were 24 seats in the section and only 9 of us flying.  Felt very spacious.  We had to use the lavatories in the economy section and when I went back I realized just how packed in people were. Made me grateful for the extra room.  Food was good - dinner of pasta and a chocolate croissant in the morning.  We were served wine with dinner in our section.  Not sure if that was true of the whole plane.

When we arrived in Rome deplaning was efficient.  Custom control pretty much waved me through and my bag was ready as soon as I got to the carousel.  The program provided transportation to the Casa O'Toole which was a real plus.

Arriving at the Casa O'Toole we were greeted by the secretary, Carol, who showed us to our rooms.  It is very spacious and will be a comfortable place for the next three months.  Terra cotta floors, an ensuite bathroom and big sliding door that goes out onto the balcony. 

We concluded the day with Evening Prayer, Mass and light refreshments and supper.  Most of us made our ways to our rooms to let our bodies and spirits catch up to one another.  Although I took a short nap when I arrived I slept well.  Didn't wake up exactly refreshed but am feeling a little second wind. 

And so it begins.

My room


The view last night from my balcony looking to the right


The view from my balcony today.  Very overcast and rain off and on.

Comments

Unknown said…
Glad your travels went well. Love the view from your balcony!! Have fun and learn lots😃

Popular posts from this blog

Underground

A beautiful Roman winter day

From the City of Lights (and rain!)