A beautiful Roman winter day

I am praying for all my family and friends back home as they endure what looks to be brutal weather.  Deep cold on top of the recent snow in some spots.  Today finally dawned bright and clear.  Still crisp but a beautiful day.

I had a great birthday yesterday.  We had our first presentations and then the afternoon free.  I spent some time reading with a short siesta.  Love that tradition.  In the evening I went out with Msgr. Tom Cook from our diocese who is working over here for a couple of years.  We went to a nice restaurant that he recommended and had a terrific meal.  I had been saving some of my Roman favorites for my birthday so started out with Spaghetti alla Carbonara which is my favorite.  I remember thinking, when I first came over for studies in 1981 (yikes!), that I wasn't sure how I would survive on spaghetti and meatballs every day for the next four years.  Little did I know.  Such a variety and so many new favorites.  Today, of course, there are many Italian restaurants in the U.S. that serve a variety of pasta toppings so we are a little more aware of the breadth of Italian cooking.

I followed that with Saltimbocca alla Romana which is think veal slices with prosciutto, sage and butter sauce.  Feeling a bit stuffed I had a poached pear with gelato as my dessert.  A wonderful meal and good company.

Today we have a full day of classes so I won't be able to get out and enjoy much of the day but the presentations should be interesting based on yesterday's teaser.

Comments

kay e krumholz said…
Dorothy and Ken Carroll would like to know the name of the restaurant that you went to with Msgr. Cook. Ken's favorite was one that was frequented by Notre Dame alumni. Also, what is carbonara? -28 this am; wearing layers to keep warm. Kay and Frank K.
Sharon said…
How wonderful that you got to connect with Msgr Cook and have such a great dinner together.
So happy for you.
Blessings on each day. May you feel the joy of the Holy Spirit all around you as you study and visit
different sites. Post some photos when you can either here or on FB please.

Enjoy. God bless you.

Sharon Stiles ( and Joe too )
Fr. John Sauer said…
The restaurant is called Arlu - the first letters of the names of the owners. It is on the Borgo Pio, so right near St. Peter's. Carbonara is a pasta sauce that is made with eggs, pancetta (unsmoked bacon) and cheese. The egg is traditionally whisked and put on the hot pasta raw - the pasta cooks the egg. Makes a luscious, creamy sauce.

Popular posts from this blog

Underground

From the City of Lights (and rain!)