Roman Holiday


Boy, time sure goes fast over here. I can hardly believe that its been a week since my last post. I had hoped to do it sooner. Oh well, here goes.

After my days in Budapest, Fr. Bernie and I went to Rome. We stayed at the North American College where I had been a student. We stayed on the fourth floor, hospital wing which had been my home for three of the four years I was in Rome. I was just down the hall from my old room. Our arrival was uneventful, my train and Fr. Bernie's plane arrived at about the same time. I waited for him to take the airport train into the city and we then took a cab to the College. We spent the afternoon just kind of getting situated and doing laundry. We both needed fresh clothes. That evening we went for dinner with Deacon Tom Niehaus, a seminarian for the Diocese of Winona.

This visit to Rome was about showing Fr. Bernie the sights and returning to some old favorite places. Tuesday we simply walked around the city, stopping at all of the tourist stops: Campo de Fiori, Piazza Navona, Trevi Fountain, Spanish Steps, Piazza del Popolo. We then walked past two lesser known sites - the Mausoleum of the Emperor Augustus and the Ara Pacis (altar to peace). It was a long day walking so we ended with an early supper and headed home.

Wednesday was Vatican Museum day. We spent the whole day there. I find Wednesday a good day to go since the Pope is having an audience so most of the crowds are there. There is no line for waiting so it is easy to get in. One of the things I wanted to make a point to see is the original of the statue of Christ the Good Shepherd that I came to Rome last April to purchase for the new reconciliation room at the Cathedral. It is not a large work and is quite simple but very beautiful.

Thursday we headed over to St. John Lateran. I wanted to see the baptistry again and Fr. Bernie wanted to see the church. I got my wish, he did not. There was a major conference on Divine Mercy going on in the basilica so we could not get in to look around. Instead we spent time in Santa Croce which has relics of the passion of Jesus, the Holy Stairs (purported to be from Pilate's palace in Jerusalme and the place where Jesus stood as he was condemned. They were brought from Jerusalem by St. Helena, mother of Constantine, who found the relics of the cross in the fourth century), and St. Mary Major. Since we had spent so much time on our feet we decided to head back to the college for a rest. That evening was the Rector's Dinner at the College - a major fundraiser for NAC. We went out and enjoyed dinner in the city.

Friday I went back to St. Peter's for an exhibit of photographs of scenes on the way to Compostella. This is an ancient pilgrimage route that is still used today. The remains of St. James are interred in the church there and from the middle ages on people have walked a variety of routes on pilgrimage. I hope some day to be able to do a portion of the route myself. I spent the afternoon in St. Peter's and went into the treasury, something I had not done before. That evening, I took Deacon Tom Niehaus and Seminarian Craig Vasak (from Crookston) out to dinner. We had a great time. I treated them to dinner. They treated me to dessert - Tartuffo ice cream treat from Tre Scalini in the Piazza Navona - one of my favorites!

On Saturday, Fr. Bernie had some things to do with his computer so I went into Trastevere. I visited the Church of St. Cecelia, patron saint of musicians. That is the sculpture of here by the sculptor Canova which is found at the base of the altar. It shows Cecilia as she was found when her tomb was opened. According to tradition, the first attempt to kill her by suffocating her in her sauna was unsuccessful. She was then beheaded but it took three attempts to sever her neck. In the statue you can see three ax marks. Her fingers are extended, one finger on one hand to symbolize the one true God, and three on the other to symbolize the Trinity. I also spent a little time in the Church of St. Mary in Trastevere, a beautiful church in a beautiful setting in a large square. A nice way to spend an afternoon. That evening I went to dinner with Fr. Joe Hanefeldt, one of the spiritual directors at the College. He was a year ahead of my during my years at NAC and we had a great visit.


On Sunday we had MAss at the College, followed by brunch and then went to St. Peter's Square for the Regina Coeli (which replaces the Angelus during Lent). Can you see the Pope at his window? The Holy Father gives a brief reflection (that week it was on the Gospel of the day which tells of the disciples on the way to Emmaus). We then went back to the College and I packed for my journey home. It was an overnight train to Paris and from there back to Leuven. All went smoothly and I arrived back just in time for lunch!


Here are Tom and I just before I headed out for the bus to the station.

All in all it was a great visit. I saw visited many of my favorite places and ate at many of my favorite restaurants, and had many of my favorite foods. Not a bad way to spend a week.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Underground

A beautiful Roman winter day

From the City of Lights (and rain!)