A Day at the Beach and then Holy Week

Holy Week is here. It hardly seems possible. We had a lovely celebration of Palm Sunday here at the College and are gearing up for the Triduum. In the meantime I have took a short trip last weekend. It was enjoyable but I was suffering with a bit of allergies so by the end of the day I was pretty miserable. I think I am coming to the end of it so hope that the coming travels will be fun.


On Saturday several of us took the train to The Hague, the capital of The Netherlands. While Amsterdam is more well known, The Hague has a lot to recommend it. Unfortunately for us there was a foot race going through town that day and we got caught up in the consequences of that. We began by going to Scheveningen which is the beach area of The Hague. One of our group was born in this town and shared with us her memories of going to the beach as a child. The beach area is quite built up - lots of restaurants and shops. We ate in a little restaurant right on the beach. Very nice. In the picture are my traveling companions. From the left, Sr. Elizabeth (who was born here), Sr. Breda (from Ireland) and Fr. Steele (from Australia). This was taken right on the beach after lunch.

We then went to the Madurodam. This is a couple of acres of miniature reconstructions of famous or important buildings and street scapes in Holland. The details were very intricate and it was an enjoyable hour. Our visit here was one of the things caught up in the race. As we arrived the runners were going past and we had to wait for a break in the action. Then as we came out we discovered that the tram to the center of the city was not running until much later. So, by the time we figured out where the correct bus stop was and waited for the bus we lost about an hour of time.

Back in town we went to the Mauritshuis museum which had many paintings by Rubens, Rembrandt, Vermeer and Van Dyck. Although we only had about an hour it was enough time to see most of the museum which was quite small and so very manageable. So often I find that going to a museum becomes fatiguing as I try to see everything in a short amount of time. This experience was just about perfect although a little more time would have been nice.


Tomorrow is Holy Thursday. I will celebrate the Mass of the Lord's Supper at the College as we gather around the altar and call to mind the gift of the Eucharist. This altar is found in the Church of St. Barthlemy in Liege. It is quite contemporary but also very beautiful with its burnished surfaces which catch the light.

Friday we observe the Commemoration of the Lord's Passion. I will be in house for that as well.

On Saturday I travel to Paris for an overnight to celebrate Easter. I will go to Notre Dame for the Vigil and Easter Sunday liturgies.


Part of the Vigil is the baptism of the catechumens, the adults who have been preparing for baptism. This font is found in the same church in Liege and is an example of Mosan art - a unique form of art found in this area. It is sculpted with scenes depicting Scriptural baptisms. The basin sits on 12 bulls, representative of the 12 Apostles.

On Monday I leave for two weeks of travel. First stop is an overnight in Cologne, Germany where I hope to see the Cathedral and a few other of things. The biggest challenge is that many things are closed on Mondays and it is Easter Monday, a holiday, as well. From there it is a long train trip to Budapest. On the Sunday after Easter I head to Rome and then back to Leuven to resume class. I don't know yet whether I will take my computer or have access to post while I am on break. If not, look for a couple long posts when I get back.

A Blessed Triduum and Happy Easter to all!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Underground

A beautiful Roman winter day

From the City of Lights (and rain!)