Endings and Beginnings

I am writing this from my parent's home as I prepare to leave on my sabbatical.

The last couple weeks have been exhausting, fun, sad, touching and exciting. I was deeply moved by the many wonderful people who took the effort to share their appreciation for my ministry at the Cathedral and St. Casimir and to wish me well. I thank them all for their prayers, support and encouragement.

It took me a few hours longer than I planned to complete the packing. I had hoped to be out of the rectory by 4 on Sunday night. I actually got away about 11 on Monday morning. At one point I opened another closet and all of my energy left me. I had to take a break and so went up to the Twin Cities for a final rehearsal with Kantorei, a choral group I have sung with for about 15 years. It is always a great refresher for me. The group dedicated one of the pieces we were rehearsing to me - really nice. Rheinberger's Abendleid - the text, based on the story of the disciples on the way to Emmaus begins - "stay with us." I look forward to returning to sing again in the fall.

On Monday night my family gathered for my birthday. We had a nice dinner and evening of conversation. When we got home I looked through a few boxes that I brought with to organize some of the things I needed to do before I go and then headed to bed - 8:30 p.m.! Of course, I woke up about 4 a.m. but was able to fall asleep again.

On Tuesday, I headed back to the Cities for a production of Gounod's Romeo and Juliette - beautifully sung.

On Wednesday, I went to Owatonna to visit my new parish. The pastor and staff offered an exceptionally warm welcome and we had a great visit as I learned about the parishes and the community. Sacred Heart in Owatonna has about 1200 families and Holy Trinity in Litomysl has about 140. I told the school children in Winona that, because they had been so nice to me I asked the bishop if I could have a parish with a school. I went on to say that he listened so well that he gave me not one but two schools! Should be exciting. I look forward to serving there on my return. I took a picture of the lovely church in Owatonna. When I get to Belgium and have a few minutes I will try to post the picture.

Today I am finishing up some things and repacking my bags. Tomorrow I leave early for a short visit to classmates in New York. I leave for Belgium on Monday.

Please continue to pray for me in the coming months as you will be in my prayers too.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Underground

A beautiful Roman winter day

From the City of Lights (and rain!)